2022 Newcastle Music Festival Choir
It’s on again! Singers from the community and local choirs have joined the 2022 Newcastle Music Festival Choir. We have formed a choir of 60 singers this year, made up of sopranos, altos, tenors and basses. Rehearsals commence next Tuesday 21 June with music being distributed prior to the rehearsal.
Registration has now closed.
The choir will be performing on Sunday 7 August at 2.30 pm at Christ Church Cathedral.
The repertoire we are singing is:
Missa Pace (Mass for Peace) – David Banney – world premiere
Requiem – Gabriel Fauré
Information for participants:
- The Requiem and Missa Pace will be sung in Latin. Coaching in pronunciation will be provided.
- There will be a total of only 6 rehearsals commencing late June, and you are expected to attend ALL rehearsals, unless illness prevents you.
- Rehearsal Dates: Tuesday evenings 7-9pm on June 21, 28, July 12,19 & 26 (yes July 5 is a school holiday break in the middle), and the final dress rehearsal is Saturday 6th August – 1pm-4pm. There will be a run-through at midday on August 7, prior to the performance.
- Music will be distributed on the evening of the first rehearsal and you will asked to familiarise yourself with the Requiem music, where possible, before attending the first rehearsal, by watching YouTube videos or listening to CDs.
- Rehearsals will be held at the Christ Church Cathedral, Church Street, Newcastle. Most rehearsals will be seated.
- Choristers will be standing on choir risers in the performance. Seating on chairs will be limited to only those who are unable to stand on the risers. You may be required to stand for lengthy periods in the performance.
Participation in the Festival Choir is one of the great opportunities offered by Newcastle Music Festival, and an inspiring and wonderful community experience.
Registrations FOR THIS YEAR’S CHOIR HAVE NOW CLOSED
If you are interested in being on a standby list or putting your name forward for next year, please email email@example.com.